Job Description - Senior EDS 3D CAD Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and this role will give successful recruits the opportunity to be a part of that growth. This role will be based in our state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, working within our tight-knit but ever-expanding team.
We are looking for experienced a Senior EDS 3D CAD Engineer to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the motorcycle design to new highs.
As a member of the electrical engineering team, the role of Senior EDS 3D CAD Engineer will be to primarily design and develop the vehicle wiring harness layout and associated components. You may also be involved in packaging electrical components and modules. You will be responsible for your design areas from concept to production and have ability to dictate the direction the commodity development process moves in. You will be coming into a blank sheet of paper and be able to make your mark early on.
As a 3D EDS engineer, you will primarily be responsible for:
● Actively designing and packaging of wiring harnesses in 3D CAD using Creo whilst considering such items as bend radius, take out positioning, environmental factors, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, clearances, insulations, poke-yoke etc.
● Creating and ensuring all 3D EDS CAD libraries are accurate for all commonly re-used items (connectors, clips etc).
● Working with the wider engineering teams on bracket, channel or other retention option design as required.
● Translating the 3D design onto a 2D drawing.
● Working with other engineers to ensure the design is accurate.
● Working with other engineers and suppliers to improve the wiring design and packaging of their components where necessary.
● Creating, maintaining, and updating best practice documentation and procedures.
● Creating, maintaining, and updating DVP requirements relevant to this area.
● Taking part in trial build activities and create documentation to support assembly.
This role has some flexibility whereby it may expand to include packaging of other electrical items such as control modules, sensors etc.
In addition, you will also be responsible for:
● Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines for your areas of responsibility.
● Ensuring timely release of all components and design changes in keeping with project timeline.
● Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
● Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
● Presenting designs in reviews with senior management across the company.
● Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
● Making decisions as required.
● Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
● Mentoring less experienced design engineers.
● Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
● Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining department procedures.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
Candidate Essential Experience:
● 3D EDS design experience, ideally from multiple industries or OEM/Tier 1 suppliers.
● Knowledge of EDS materials, limitations, and processes.
● Knowledge of DFA and DFM requirements for EDS items.
● Ability to design brackets, channels and conduits with some support.
● 3D CAD design software (CREO / Pro-Engineer / Catia etc.)
● EDS CAD design software (Capital / Zuken / Arcadia / VeSys etc)
The candidate ideally would have experience in the following, but this is not essential:
● Knowledge of 3d MCAD / ECAD sync.
● CREO / Pro-Engineer toolset.
● Capital / VeSys 2.0
● Experience and ability to design bracket, channels, or conduits independently.
● Packaging of electrical components / modules.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
● 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
● A generous pension scheme
● Life insurance (We Care Employee Support Programme)
● On-site free parking
● Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
● Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full-time
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience
It is essential that you send both your CV and a cover letter when applying for this role. Please also state where you heard about this vacancy within your application.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to email@example.com stating which role you are applying for.
We have a 10 day reply policy, so if you do not hear from us within 10 days, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.