Job Description - Senior Chassis Engineer
Norton is without doubt one of the most exciting motorcycle companies in the world. This iconic British brand has recently been acquired by Indian giant TVS, who are looking to invest in its product range and Design & Engineering capability here in the UK.
As such, we are looking for experienced Senior Chassis Engineers to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the motorcycle design to new highs.
The role of Senior Chassis Engineer will be to design and develop a number of significant components and systems that make up the motorcycle chassis. This could include frame, swingarm, wheels, fuel system a number of other areas. You will be responsible for your design areas from concept to production and also have responsibility for managing, mentoring and develop one or two engineers and their workloads.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for professional engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
The role of the Senior Engineer will be to manage new and current models they have been allocated. Leading their team of Design Engineers, they will need to meet design and engineering deadlines. Timely decision making and positive team leadership is key to a healthy and productive working environment. A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential
Working as a Senior Chassis Engineer your main responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
● Designing quality chassis components and systems of new class leading motorcycles.
● Creating complex yet high quality CAD models, assemblies and technical drawings (including accurate use of GD&T) to company standards.
● Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines for your areas of responsibility.
● Ensuring timely release of all components and design changes in keeping with project timeline.
● Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
● Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
● Approving designs and drawings of junior engineers.
● Presenting designs in reviews with senior management across the company.
● Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
● Acting first deputy for the Principal Engineer/Team Leader in their absence.
● Making decisions as required.
● Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
● Mentoring less experienced design engineers.
● Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
● Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining department procedures.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
Key characteristics that a Senior Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
● Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
o Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
o Quality engineering drawing including Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
o Design for assembly.
o Design for manufacture.
● Risk identification and mitigation.
● Problem identification and solution.
● Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 4 years automotive design engineering background.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
● An interest in motorcycles.
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full-time.
Flexible working available, subject to approval.
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.