Job Description - Senior Chassis Design Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and this role will give successful recruits the opportunity to be a part of that growth. This role will be based in our state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, working within our tight-knit but ever-expanding team.
The role of Senior Chassis Engineer will be to design and develop a number of significant components and systems that make up the motorcycle chassis. This could include frame, swingarm, wheels, fuel system, etc. You will be responsible for your design areas from concept to production and have responsibility for managing, mentoring and developing one or two engineers and their workloads.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for professional engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
Role, duties and responsibilities:
● Designing quality chassis components and systems of new class leading motorcycles.
● Creating complex yet high quality CAD models, assemblies and technical drawings (including accurate use of GD&T) to company standards.
● Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines for your areas of responsibility.
● Ensuring timely release of all components and design changes in keeping with project timeline.
● Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
● Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
● Presenting designs in reviews with senior management across the company.
● Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
● Acting as first deputy for the Principal Engineer/Team Leader in their absence.
● Making decisions as required.
● Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
● Mentoring design engineers.
● Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
● Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining department procedures.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
● Occasional travel may be required to support supplier development and product testing.
Key characteristics that a Senior Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
● Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
o Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
o Creation of quality engineering drawings including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
o Design for assembly.
o Design for manufacture.
● Risk identification and mitigation.
● Problem identification and solution.
● Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
● Qualified to degree level or above in a relevant engineering discipline.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 4 years automotive design engineering background.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
● An interest in motorcycles.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
● 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
● A generous pension scheme
● Life insurance (We Care Employee Support Programme)
● On-site free parking
● Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
● Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full time - Permanent
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to email@example.com stating which role you are applying for.