Job Description – Principal/Chief Powertrain Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is without doubt one of the most exciting 2 wheel brands in the world. This iconic British brand has recently been acquired by Indian giant TVS, who are looking to invest in its product range and Design & Engineering capability here in the UK.
As such, we are looking for a time served Principal Powertrain or Chief Powertrain Engineer to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the engineering and its people to new highs.
The role of Chief Powertrain Engineer will be to manage and oversee all Powertrain elements of projects. Timely decision making and positive team leadership is key to a healthy and productive working environment. A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way.
You will be overseeing the delivery of all powertrain projects including new platforms and support for existing powertrains.
Working as a Principal Powertrain Engineer your main responsibilities will include;
● Overseeing and managing the correct benchmarking of industry standards and competitor vehicles.
● Production and management of timelines for projects in conjunction with respective team leaders.
● Overseeing first release Engineers lists and drawings.
● Support in the selection of materials and manufacturing process.
● Manage powertrain specific design reviews.
● Acting first deputy for the Engineering Manager in their absence
Key characteristics that a Principal Engineer should demonstrate;
The management of your team including;
● Keeping morale high and motivating your team while providing leadership when required.
● Making critical decisions as required.
● Recognising the training needs of staff.
● Keeping staff working within departmental procedures.
● Completing Team Leader appraisals.
● Authorising Team Leader holidays and overtime within set limits.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
● Continual development of the knowledge base and capabilities within the Design and Engineering department. This includes;
o Assisting the Engineering Manager in creating and maintaining department procedures.
o Attending and inputting into the Engineering meetings for Powertrain.
o Sharing and communication of technical knowledge with other teams and individuals via Engineering meetings.
Candidates will need to satisfy the following essential requirements;
● An interest and detailed understanding of fundamental motorcycle principles.
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 10 years automotive engineering background.
● Proven experience in a similar role.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of Powertrain and its interaction with chassis and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Be experienced in materials and manufacturing processes.
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
Job Type: Full-time
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.