Job Description - Principal Chassis Engineer
Norton is without doubt one of the most exciting motorcycle companies in the world. This iconic British brand has recently been acquired by Indian giant TVS, who are looking to invest in its product range and Design & Engineering capability here in the UK.
We are looking for time served Principal Chassis Engineers or Chassis Design Team Leaders to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the design engineering and its people to new highs.
The role of Principal Chassis Engineer will be to manage and oversee significant elements of design projects. This could be overall design responsibility of a chassis platform, or ownership of a design and development area.
A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way.
Working as a Principal Chassis Engineer your main responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
● Overseeing and managing the design of new class leading motorcycle chassis.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor vehicles.
● Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines.
● Approving designs and drawings.
● Support in the selection of applicable materials and manufacturing process.
● Manage chassis specific design reviews.
● Acting first deputy for the Chief Engineer in their absence.
The management of your team including:
● Maintaining morale and motivating your team while providing leadership when required.
● Making critical decisions as required.
● Overseeing and managing the performance and development of varying levels of design engineers.
● Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
● Completing appraisals in a constructive manner.
● Identifying training and development needs, and promoting appropriate actions.
● Authorising holidays and overtime within set limits.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
Continual development of the knowledge base and capabilities within the Design and Engineering department. This includes:
● Assisting the Chief Engineer in creating and maintaining design and development procedures
● Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
● Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge.
Key characteristics that a Principal Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
● Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
o Understanding of manufacturing processes.
o Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
o Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
o Design for assembly.
o Design for manufacture.
● Risk identification and mitigation.
● Problem identification and solution.
● Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 10 years automotive engineering background.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
● An interest in motorcycles.
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full-time.
Flexible working available, subject to approval.
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.