Job Description - Principal Chassis Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit within the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and this role will give successful recruits the opportunity to be a part of that growth. This role will be based in our state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, working within our tight-knit but ever-expanding team.
The role of Principal Chassis Engineer will be to manage and oversee significant elements of design projects. This could be overall design responsibility of a chassis platform, or ownership of a design and development area. You will also be responsible for your design areas from concept to production and have responsibility for managing, mentoring and developing a team of engineers and their workloads.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for professional engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
Working as a Principal Chassis Engineer at Norton your main responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
● Overseeing and managing the design of new class leading motorcycle chassis.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor vehicles.
● Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines.
● Approving designs and drawings.
● Support in the selection of applicable materials and manufacturing process.
● Manage chassis specific design reviews.
● Acting as first deputy for the Chief Engineer in their absence.
● Occasional travel may be required to support supplier development and product testing.
The management of your team including:
● Maintaining morale and motivating your team while providing leadership when required.
● Making critical decisions as required.
● Overseeing and managing the performance and development of varying levels of design engineers.
● Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
● Completing appraisals in a constructive manner.
● Identifying training and development needs, and promoting appropriate actions.
● Authorising holidays and overtime within set limits.
● Recruitment of new team members
Continual development of the knowledge base and capabilities within the Design and Engineering department. This includes:
● Creating and maintaining design and development procedures.
● Attending and inputting into engineering reviews and discussions.
● Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge.
Key characteristics that a Principal Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
● Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
o Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
o Creation and checking of engineering drawings, including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
o Design for assembly.
o Design for manufacture.
● Technical leadership experience
● Risk identification and mitigation.
● Problem identification and solution.
● Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
● Qualified to degree level or above in a relevant engineering discipline.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 10 years automotive design engineering background (Ideally motorcycle).
● Experience of managing and mentoring design engineers.
● An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
● An interest in motorcycles.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
● 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
● A generous pension scheme
● Life insurance (We Care Employee Support Programme)
● On-site free parking
● Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
● Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full time - Permanent
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.
We have a 10 day reply policy, so if you do not hear from us within 10 days, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.